Tuesday 19 July 2016

Starship - We Built This City (1985)



I don't know why people poo poo on this song. This song, for me, is almost the quintessential 80s track. It has everything. From production sensibilities, to song writing, to, yes, FM BASS!

One thing that I found interesting though was how integrated the FM Bass was in this track. They seem to be mixing a real bass with the FM Bass, and alternating the verse and chorus. The verses and transitions get regular bass, and the chorus gets FM Bass with regular bass slotted behind it for fullness. The result is an iconic sound that actually always gave this song a futuristic vibe in my opinion. Half man, half machine. All rock.
Plus, this music video always kind of weirded me out. A bunch of adults singing and smiling and having fun in some weird purple alternate future city. Ultra high tech for the time, haha, I am sure.

Come on, everyone, give this song a chance again. If it's been a while, listen to it again now with fresh ears. It has something for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment