Thursday 11 August 2016

Peter Cetera - Big Mistake (1986)




Believe it or not, this is the very first time I have heard Cetera's solo albums in it's entirety. Of course, I started with his album "Solitude / Solitaire" from 1986 to see if there was any FM being used, and oh my, yes. There was.

Side note: The thing I notice with FM is that it was kind of a cheap solution for artists. Not cheap as in they phoned it in, but cheap as in, they could get a decent studio sound for less money, and it inspired a lot of people to fill out their albums, or even fill up a solo album so much easier then they had to before. I think it also allowed for some new names to enter the studio musician scenes, and it gave more vocalists a shot at putting music out there.

As for this song, I think they doubled up on the bass with a typical crunchy FM bass and a low register clavier layered over top of it for yet even more fiddly metallic sounds. There's also an assortment of FM plinks and twangs filtering in and out during the track. And man alive is this track high energy!

And we get that ultra distinct Peter Cetera vocal track really making this track something special. No one can tickle that high register like he can. I suspect his tracks are hard as hell at Karaoke, haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment